Destitution Drop-in. A welcoming and safe space for asylum seekers to get advice, use computers and meet others.
Every Tuesday at Bradford Action for Refugees, 40A Piccadilly Bradford BD1 3NN from 10:00 – 14:00.
We assist asylum seekers and refugees to find a route out of destitution by:
- Providing short-term emergency provisions in the form of food vouchers, food parcels, toiletries and clothing.
- Reading through client’s paperwork and suggesting a course of action
- Referring/ Signposting to solicitors and volunteer organisations that help people with asylum applications (and family reunion and welfare advice)
- Referring/ Signposting to asylum support organisations (BAFR, Asylum Help)
- Referring clients to emergency accommodation providers (Hope Housing, Nightstop, LASSN Shortstop, Inn Churches)
- Referring/ Signposting to Healthcare providers (GPs and dentists) and Mental Health Services and volunteer organisations promoting mental well-being (Bradford CMHT, Solace)
- Referring to orientation and befriending organisations (HALE, BAFR)
- Referring to specialist organisations who provide support for refugees and asylum seekers (Bradford Women’s Aid, Bradford Rape Crisis)
- Providing advice on volunteering opportunities with the Red Cross and signpost to Bradford Volunteering Centre
- Advice on English Classes and other Educational courses in Bradford (Bradford College, BIASAN, BAFR, Landmark Centre)
- Information about and referrals to other Red Cross Services such as International Family Tracing and Family Reunion Travel Assistance
Trained volunteers help:
- Filling in forms and providing information about housing, benefits, and asylum
- Making phone calls
- Finding a doctor, dentist or solicitor
- Providing information about jobs and courses
- Using libraries, museums, etc
- Using public transport
- Issuing food parcels and sleeping bags to asylum seekers and refugees who are destitute.
- Monday 09:00 - 17:00
- Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00
- Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00
- Thursday 09:00 - 17:00
- Friday 09:00 - 17:00